Direct-to-consumer products are everywhere these days. In some cases, it can be beneficial to bypass the middleman and buy the products you want right from the comfort of your home. In other cases, that efficiency and convenience can come with some pretty significant drawbacks.
Orthodontic devices, like clear aligners, are one of those things that you want to buy in person. After all, it is your smile that is on the line. Here are five problems with mail-order teeth aligners:
- You may not receive a thorough examination: Some direct-to-consumer orthodontic companies only know as much about your smile as they can get from dental impressions. Meanwhile, our orthodontist will take comprehensive diagnostic records, including head imaging, to plan your treatment and create the proper bite position.
- You may not work with an orthodontist: Mail-order aligner companies partner with state-licensed doctors, dentists, and sometimes orthodontists. However, only orthodontists specialize in moving teeth and aligning jaws. They complete advanced training after graduating dental school and are best equipped to straighten your smile.
- The treatment options are limited: Clear aligners are not the best option for every patient. However, they are the only orthodontic treatment you can order by mail. If you visit our practice, you can find the right fit for your unique situation and oral condition.
- It could cost more in the long run: Moving teeth is serious business. Done wrong, it can lead to expensive and possibly irreversible damage. Are you comfortable uploading simple check-in photos instead of evaluating your progress through in-office visits?
- You do not always know where to turn with questions: If an issue arises during your treatment or you feel uncertain about an aspect of the process, who can you contact? Many mail-order aligner companies have you complete a support request form online. Meanwhile, our team is ready to help you over the phone or during your office visits.
Learn More from Our Denver Orthodontist
Dr. Robert Rudman is a skilled orthodontist with decades of smile-straightening experience. He has also been recognized among the top one percent of Invisalign® specialists.
Call 303-331-0222 to learn how in-person orthodontic treatment can make a world of difference. Advanced Orthodontic Care welcomes patients from Denver, Cherry Creek, Stapleton, and nearby Colorado communities.