Orthodontist Serving Denver, Cherry Creek, Stapleton & Nearby Areas Of Colorado
Would you like straighter teeth and a better bite? If you’re seeking a superior smile and you’d like to achieve that better look without metal wires and brackets, Denver orthodontist Dr. Robert Rudman can determine your suitability for Invisalign®.
What is Invisalign®?
This orthodontic method straightens teeth with clear, plastic aligners. They are customized to your teeth, jaws and bite. During treatment, you progress through multiple sets of aligners, typically wearing one set for a couple of weeks before graduating to the next. In this way, Invisalign is similar to braces in the way it gradually moves your teeth over time.
Invisalign® vs. Braces
Thousands of people avoid orthodontics because they can’t stand the thought of wearing braces. Whether you’re concerned about discomfort or the effect the apparatus might have on your smile, Invisalign® could be an ideal alternative if you’re worried about traditional orthodontic correction.
Invisalign® can treat many of the same issues affecting teeth and the bite as braces, including:
- Crooked teeth
- Crowded teeth
- Gaps between teeth
- Open bite
Instead of brackets and wires attached to your teeth, Invisalign® treatment requires you to wear comfortable, removable plastic aligner trays for a portion of the day. The aligners are customized to fit the unique shape of your dental arch.
Advantages of Invisalign®
Dr. Rudman is in the top 1% of Invisalign® providers worldwide. As a Denver Invisalign® Elite Preferred Provider, he has helped many patients enjoy comfortable, low-profile orthodontic correction.
Comfort and a nearly invisible aesthetic aren’t the only reason so many patients prefer Invisalign®. The removable design of the aligners allows you to:
- Eat what you want
- Engage in your favorite sports and activities without fear of damaging an apparatus
- Clean your teeth more easily than you can with braces
- Shift your teeth and bite into place by wearing the trays the recommended 20 to 22 hours per day
- Discard your aligner every two weeks and start using a new one for the next phase of treatment
Treatment with Invisalign® also requires fewer office visits than braces. While some braces patients have to schedule monthly checkups with their orthodontist, with Invisalign® you can plan on seeing Dr. Rudman every six to eight weeks for an evaluation of the treatment’s progress and to pick up your next set of aligners.
The Invisalign® Process
Typical steps in the process include:
- The consultation. First you will meet with Dr. Rudman for a consultation. You and he will discuss your goals for your smile and your specific bite issues. Once he reviews your x-rays he can determine whether Invisalign® is an option. He'll tell you all of your treatment options, including metal braces and clear braces.
- Mapping your teeth and treatment plan. No goop or putty required! We will take a digital scan of your entire mouth with a small, handheld wand. Dr. Rudman uses this scan to map out your entire treatment. It's completely customized to you. The Invisalign® lab uses these plans to create your plastic aligners.
- Getting your first set of aligners. We schedule your next appointment based on when the aligners are ready. Dr. Rudman makes sure the aligners fit and that you know how to take them on and off. Our team makes sure you get all of your questions answered and that you know what to do. We schedule your next appointment at this time as well.
- Returning to the office for routine appointments. You receive batches of aligners every visit, and receive the new batch every 6-8 weeks at your regularly scheduled appointments. It is normal to feel pressure and tightness the first few days after wearing a new set of aligners because they will be moving your teeth.
- Seeing your final results. Because of the nature of Invisalign®, there isn't really a grand reveal at the end of treatment; you will be able to see your progress every step of the way. Nonetheless, completing your treatment is an important achievement.
The length of treatment varies by patient. It depends on the bite and teeth misalignment present, and what movements need to happen in order to straighten them.
Life with Invisalign®
Invisalign® allows you to live your life without missing a beat. While brace are the right option for some people, Invisalign has certain advantages if you are a good candidate. You can eat, play sports, and continue all of your normal activities without having to worry about making accommodations:
Maintain the same lifestyle. With braces, you have to avoid certain foods, particularly those that are firm, crunchy, sticky or chewy. Since you remove Invisalign® to eat, you can enjoy any foods you like without worries about bent wires and brackets. You also remove the aligners if you play sports like football, soccer, track, etc. You won't have to worry about breaking braces during these activities.
Take the aligners out when life requires it, such as popcorn at a movie or a cup of coffee with a friend.
Enjoy the ease of removable aligners. There is no special dental hygiene method required while undergoing Invisalign® treatment. Remove the aligners to brush and floss your teeth like normal. We show you how to clean the aligners lightly each night so that they stay clear and transparent.
Although you need to visit us for regularly scheduled appointments, you are typically spared the possibility of emergency visits when you wear Invisalign®. While braces can bend, break or dislodge, Invisalign® tends to be a little less vulnerable (as long as you follow all guidelines). Braces tend to get damaged if the patient eats something chewy, firm or sticky. This requires a repair appointment. The plastic aligners are removed before you eat, so they are spared from these types of problems. Nonetheless, it is very possible to damage the aligners in other ways. Without proper storage and care, they can warp, discolor or scratch. We make sure you know how to care for them so these problems don't arise.
The Right Age for Invisalign®
Invisalign® is for teens:
And it's for adults:
If you are interested in improving your smile with our Denver Invisalign® treatment, please contact Advanced Orthodontic Care or call 303-331-0222 today to schedule your consultation. Dr. Rudman serves adults and teens in Denver communities including Stapleton, Downtown, and more.