There is a common denominator among all dental professionals: Many of them are passionate about helping you and your family enjoy optimal oral health and a smile you are proud to share. Variations among dental professionals include specialties. A dentist who practices a specialty has chosen to focus on a specific group of dental conditions. Orthodontists specialize in correcting misaligned bites and straightening crooked teeth.
Orthodontists, general dentists and every other type of dentist have all graduated from dental school, where they learn about oral anatomy, oral diseases and treatments, human anatomy and more. A general practitioner may go on to treat patients and open a private practice after graduating from dental school. A specialist goes on to complete further education.
The following are the main differences between orthodontists and general dentists:
- Orthodontists have completed at least two years of additional training in their specialty
- Orthodontists have a thorough knowledge of how the bite should be aligned – how the upper and lower teeth should meet in order to prevent discomfort and provide optimal function
- Orthodontists know about the jaw and facial anatomy, and how the bite works with the jaw and the rest of the face
- Orthodontists understand how the teeth need to move to safely create an ideal bite and straight teeth
- Orthodontists know how to determine the best treatment options for a patient’s specific bite problem
While general dentists may offer certain orthodontic treatments, they do not have the same educational background, training or experience as an orthodontist.
Dr. Robert Rudman is an experienced orthodontist in Denver. He is a member of the American Association of Orthodontists, an organization to which only trained orthodontists may belong. He is part of the top 1 percent of Invisalign® providers nationwide, which is a testament to his experience with this treatment option. He also provides metal braces, ceramic braces and behind-the-teeth braces.
Set up your virtual consultation today to find out if you may be a good candidate for orthodontia in the Denver area. Our patients visit us from Stapleton, Cherry Creek and all of the surrounding areas.