Do you currently have braces? Are you concerned about maintaining good dental hygiene even with your braces? If you currently have braces, it is extremely important to maintain good dental hygiene. It is often more difficult to maintain dental hygiene with braces because food can easily get trapped in between the metal and your teeth, making it difficult to clean your teeth effectively.
There are many things you can do to ensure that you maintain your dental hygiene while you are wearing your braces. These include:
- Avoid foods with excess sugar like candy and soda
- Avoid gummy or sticky foods
- Avoid hard foods like hard candy
- Continue to brush and floss daily
Even though it is important to continue to brush and floss daily, it is more difficult to brush effectively with braces on. Some tips for effectively brushing your teeth with braces include:
- Use a soft bristled toothbrush or a toothbrush that has longer bristles around the edges and shorter bristles in the middle
- Use an electric toothbrush if desired on a medium setting
- Use an interdental brush for hard to reach places like in between wires and brackets
- Use a floss that is specifically designed to work around braces
While you are receiving your orthodontic care, it is still important to have routine dental visits to get your teeth inspected, cleaned and to receive fluoride treatments to better prevent cavities.
If you have or are considering braces, please contact Advanced Orthodontic Care today at 303-331-0222 for a consultation. We serve patients in Stapleton and throughout the Denver, Colorado area.