Most people are aware of the perceived disadvantages of dental braces – metal mouth and discomfort. But are you aware of all the benefits that accrue from a year or two spent wearing them? It is quite a long list, and keep in mind that in these days of modern dentistry there are many more choices as to what type of braces you wear. There is even the Invisalign choice of correcting tooth alignment without using braces at all.
If you bite the bullet, so to speak, and wear braces for a short percentage of your life, you can achieve positive results and avoid potential problems.
1. Positives to Achieve
- A more attractive and healthy smile
- Elimination of pain caused by a misaligned bite
- Reduced strain on the jaw joints and their muscles, which will avoid future dental problems
- Better ability to keep your teeth clean
- Better lip closure, which would enhance your entire facial appearance
- Easier swallowing
- Improved speech
- More pleasure from eating, without the upper and lower teeth bumping or chronic strain in the jaw joints
- Enhanced dental health for the rest of your life
- Greater self-confidence about your physical appearance
- Improved facial development with well-aligned teeth if you are a teenager
2. Negatives to Avoid
- Lost teeth from premature wear and tear or gum disease
- Premature facial aging because of lost teeth and resulting bone shrinkage
- Injury to front teeth if they protrude
- Embarrassment from ugly teeth if you are a teenager
- Jaw surgery such as a bone graft
- A lifetime of dental discomfort and self-consciousness
Everyone is different in their dental health and particular tooth and gum conditions. Dr. Rudman is a highly-qualified orthodontist and can offer you the most up-to-date options for correcting tooth alignment. To arrange a personal consultation, please call or email our orthodontics office today.