You know the reasons why you should get braces: straighter teeth, an aligned bite, a confident smile and improved self-esteem. However, if you’re like some of our older Stapleton patients, the very thought of orthodontics is unnerving, eliciting visions of embarrassment and discomfort.
We understand. But depriving yourself of a healthy, attractive smile because of antiquated fears is bad for your teeth and lousy for your self-image. You owe it to yourself to overcome the obstacles keeping you from the smile you’ve always wanted.
Here are 5 terrible excuses adults commonly make when avoiding orthodontic treatment:
- I’m too old. There is no age-cap for braces. Depending on your general oral health and the integrity of your bone structure, you can get braces into your 70s or 80s. Older patients usually have more bridges and crowns to contend with, but a little professional creativity can overcome many dental challenges.
- Results take too long. Orthodontic technology has come a long way, and results are achieved faster than in previous years. These days, depending on the severity of your condition, most people only wear braces for about two years. However, Invisalign® treatment only lasts about 12 months for the average adult.
- I will look like a teenager. Braces aren’t just for kids. Plenty of adults are opting for orthodontics these days, and even traditional, fixed braces are less obvious than they once were. Your treatment can be even more discreet if you opt for Invisalign® clear plastic aligners.
- Eating, brushing and talking will be difficult. While they do require some minor adjustments, life’s little tasks are minimally impacted by braces. Invisalign® aligners, which can be conveniently removed at any time, are even less intrusive.
- My career will suffer. Even if you go with traditional, fixed braces, the days of full-blown metal-mouth are gone. Invisalign clear plastic aligners are almost undetectable to most observers. Besides, a winning smile has been found to increase your odds of getting promotions and new career opportunities.
If you’re an adult in Stapleton and would like to learn more about your orthodontics options, please contact Advanced Orthodontic Care today by calling 303-331-0222, or by completing the form on this page to schedule an appointment. We welcome adult patients from Denver and neighboring communities.